Introducing Caritas Europa Migration
Most Caritas Europa's member organisations are active on asylum and immigration.
The main aim of Caritas' work in this field is to offer realistic solutions to people who, for whatever reason, need assistance because they are resident in a country other than their home country.
Caritas' programmes include projects for the reception of asylum seekers, provision of legal and social counselling services, facilitation of processes for the integration of refugees and permanent residents as well as resettlement and voluntary return programmes.
While filling the gaps in governmental assistance, Caritas stresses states' responsibility to ensure dignified treatment of asylum seekers, refugees and other migrants, one of the most vulnerable groups in Europe's societies.
On the basis of direct practical experience, Caritas conducts policy and advocacy work with the aim of changing structural weaknesses.
Coordination of member organisations
- Raising awareness at the member organisations level of the European dimension of migration work and policy (and of priority topics).
- Encouraging mutual exchange of information and cooperation between Caritas Europa and its member organisations; setting up and developing a space for members to regularly inform the network about their activities, programmes, experience, persons in charge etc.
- Fostering development and improving members' migration work as well as their advocacy efforts, particularly regarding those organisations in need of specific support; promoting the Partnership Programme to the members.
- Developing a comprehensive approach, particularly in collaboration between migration and international cooperation within Caritas.
- Further consolidating the existing focal points on integration and trafficking and establishing additional focal points on (i) migration & international cooperation, (ii) voluntary return and (iii) undocumented migrants.
- Establishing regular contact and exchange with other regions of Caritas Internationalis and assessing possibilities of cooperation.
- Actively contributing to and influencing EU migration and asylum policy development, together with Caritas' main strategic Christian and other partners, also taking into consideration its impact on policy developments in the new Member States, and third countries.
- Ensuring participation and Caritas visibility at a global level, and in crucial meetings organised by organisations such as UNHCR, Pontifical Council, IOM, etc.
- Further developing activities and policies in the fields of combating and preventing trafficking in human beings. Caritas Europa is also leading the work of the Network of Christian Organisations Against Trafficking of Human beings (http://www.coatnet.org).
- Further developing activities and policies in the fields of integration of immigrants and refugees.
- Strengthening Caritas advocacy on national level regarding the European migration and asylum agenda.
- Continuing the Caritas Troika on Migration, based on future realities as regards the EU Presidency.
In order to accomplish its mission, Caritas Europa is permanently and actively in dialogue and eventual cooperation with European Institutions and many relevant organisations and stakeholders in the European environment.